Answer: Getting online in Uganda (in Jinja, where Nile SUP is based) is simple and there are a few options available.
- At a cafe
- At a dedicated internet shop
- At your hotel/guest house
- Buy a SIM Card for mobile access
1. Go to an Internet cafe:
If you have your own laptop or device then a cafe means both a nice coffee and an internet connection.
The speeds in the cafes can be frustratingly slow, at busy times everyone comes in and connects.
We recommend the following cafes:
2. Go to an Internet shop:
Jinja has several internet shops with computer booths available for those without a device. On the whole these provide a more reliable internet connection. Voice Skype calls often work in these shops but you get the tasty Ugandan coffee.
- Reliable internet shop – next to Biashara supermarket (view on map)
3. At your hotel/guest house:
Most hotels and guest houses have an Internet connection of some description, however they get easily overloaded with people trying to connect as nearly all systems run off a shared mobile connection rather than a landline connection.
4. Buy a SIM card:
For internet access on your unlocked phone (not fixed to one network, ask your home network provider about unlocking) you can buy either a SIM, MicroSIM and NanoSIM here. You will need to have your passport (or another form of ID) with you when buying and registering your SIM card but it is otherwise an easy process. Data packages can then be bought and 3G and Edge coverage in the Jinja district is good or least enough to send and receive email.
See all questions
- What should I wear?
- Do I need to book in advance?
- Can you cater for dietary requirements?
- Can I bring a camera?
- Can I wear my glasses while kayaking?
- Do you sell nose-clips?
- Am I expected to tip my guide?
- Can I come and work for Nile SUP?
- How safe is Uganda?
- Ugandan tourist visas
- Power, electricity, and charging?
- What plug does Uganda use?
- Internet in Uganda
- Do I need a Yellow fever card?
- Can I drink the tap water?
- What language is spoken in Uganda?
- Will I get malaria?
- Do I need a yellow fever vaccination?
- Which vaccinations do I need for Uganda?
- Will I get bilharzia/schistosomiasis?
- What is the status of Ebola in Uganda?
- Are there ATMs in Jinja?
- What payment methods do you accept?
- Do you accept credit card?
- Which date of US dollars can I use in Uganda?
- Where can I get Ugandan shillings?
Can’t find what your looking for? Ask us a quick question
or visit our contact us page if you are ready to book.